This is all that remained of the canal, Milton Locks, around 1900.
Arundel Street gets it's name from the Portsmouth to Arundel canal, which finished
where the LDB later Allders then Debenhams is situated. Canal Walk still follows
the path of the old waterway to Locksway Road, which leads to the old locks at Milton.
In 1817, a plan was drawn up to link Portsmouth with London via the Thames, Wey,
and Arun Canals. The first section opened in 1822, the rest was planned for the next
year. There was a grand opening on May 26th 1823. The Portsmouth-Arundel Canal only
endured for 60 years before it was finally filled in, because by the 1880s the railway
had come to town, and part of the canal cutting was used to carry the tracks, being
the part between just east of the Portsmouth & Southsea station and Fratton. The
rest of the canal was filled in eventually to form Goldsmith Avenue. See map below.
Ref:- London’s Lost Route to Portsmouth. by P.A.L. Vine ISBN:- 978-1-86077-514-7
This steam train which has just left Town station, travelling east on it’s way to Fratton station, is running on what was the bed of the Portsmouth canal. Canal walk is at the right of this picture.