London Road, Hilsea
The Green Posts pub was a coaching inn taking it's name from the boundary of the ancient Borough of Portsmouth which was originally a green post, it dates from 1857. It is situated on the opposite side of the road to the current Boundary Obelisk, this picture was taken in 2006.
The same view, this time in 1901, of The Green Posts pub. Note that Torrington Road did not exist back then. The stone in the foreground marks the spot where Torrington Road is today.
The Boundary Obelisk marks the 'border' between the north of Portsmouth, and Hilsea, is almost on the corner of Torrington Road, opposite 'The Green Posts' public house. The roman numerals in the right hand picture mean 1799.
The Hilsea Arches controlled the entrance to Portsea Island and were constructed in 1861. The arches, which were part of the Hilsea defence lines, were situated at the Portsmouth end of the Portsbridge. They were demolished in 1919.
This is the second Coach & Horses Public House built on this spot. It was popular with the stage coaches bringing goods & passengers from London, and other outlying areas. Pictured in the 1930s.
This is the third Coach & Horses Public House built on this spot. Pictured in 1980.
This is the Hilsea Lido in 1953. The Lido served the northern part of the city, as well as Cosham and Paulsgrove