There was once a piano, purchased in 1900
at a cost of £32, from the North End music
stores in Liverpool.
Click here to view the original receipt.
Over the years, many a tune was played on
this piano, but by 2006, it was out of tune,
but could not be re-tuned, due to it’s age,
Although it was a nice piece of furniture it was not considered to be usable, so a
decision was made to use the wood for another project, and keeping with the memory
of what it was, the Piano-Gram was constructed.
The total height of the cabinet, with castors, is 85 cms, and a depth of 49 cms
Pictured, is one of the speakers, with the front
grill removed, showing the bass, middle, and
treble speaker units
After plans were drawn, the centre part of the
keyboard lid, and front piano with lock, were
cut to a width of 56cms. The two end panels
were cut to size, and fitted to each end making
a total width of 63cms. Most of the front, top,
and bottom panels were cut to size to complete
the sides of the project.
As shown in the picture, most of the remaining
wood was used in the construction of the front
of the cabinet. A Garrard DD130 direct drive
turntable was fitted in the area beneath the lid
where the keyboard used to be.
A 20 watt per channel amplifier was constructed
incorporating a magnetic pickup equalisation
circuit, also providing inputs for a digital radio
tuner, CD player, and an auxiliary input.
The radio tuner is a DAB/FM unit by Acoustic
Solutions model SP11. The CD player is by
The speakers used are a pair of refurbished
Wharfdale Lintons, with a cross-over network
feeding bass, middle, and treble speakers.
One speaker is fitted at the bottom of the
cabinet, and the remaining speaker is sited
100cms to the left of the main cabinet.